Monday, November 9, 2009

Off Season

So I went to Crete the past few days. It was beautiful - some of the best coastline I've seen this trip. The beaches were coves in the otherwise rocky shoreline where waves crashed and splashed one on top of another as though they couldn't wait there turn.
Funny thing was there was no one there! By that I mean that I got off the bus in this quaint little beach town on the southern coast, looked around, and noticed everything seemed closed and I was the only person in sight. "Well this should be interesting" was all that went through my mind.
On my 4th try I found a lady who would actually let me stay in one of her "rooms to rent." She did not seem very pleased to have to make up one of the beds, but I helped and she was able to get back to her nap soon enough.
Evidently it is now "off season" in the Greek islands. Normally this would mean there are less tourists than usual. However here it is apparently when the locals say they have had enough of tourists for the year, shut everything down, and take a break. There are upsides to this "off season" - it's easy to find the local restraints because everything else is closed. Another nice thing is that you have the beach to yourself AND I even found the beach chairs that haven't been taken in for the winter so I got to use them for free. Thankfully it was the end of my trip so nice quiet, unwind, process time was good.
But I must say the attitude of the locals spread to me. Their attitude that it's time for tourists to go home makes me feel like it's time for me to go home as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment