Sunday, November 1, 2009

It's all Greek to Me

Sorry the posts are rather infrequent. And in case you're worried that I got lost in the drunken abyss that I was staying at, don't worry - I made it out unscathed. I now only have my I-touch and typing out blogs on this thing is kind of painful. But for you I'm doing my best - so here is a little about Corfu.
I never thought that in coming to Greece, my Greek training (and by that I mean sorority life) would come in handy, but it has now on 2 occasions. First there was the toga party incident - though I don't think anything could fully prepare me for that chaos. I will spare you the details, but apparently I left just in time before they started doing body shots and breaking plates on people's heads. Too bad I missed out . . .
After I realized that my hostel was not going to help me get that "local" feel I've been trying for most of my trip, I went out to explore the rest of the island on my own. Somehow, the Greeks on the island manage to keep the tourism in contained parts of the island. Outside of those, they carry on their lives as normal; it's really kind of impressive. I enjoyed walking through olive orchards where thin black nets were being placed under the trees in preparation for harvest - you would have no idea that just over the hill was a large tourist community.
It was really cool except that another part of this "containing the tourism" means that most of the road signs were not in English. I left from the village on foot, thinking I would find a bus to the beach along the way. Silly me.
After walking about an hour I began to wonder if I had taken a wrong turn somewhere. I decided I would figure out where I was at the next road sign. Then I came to it and . . . well, it was all in Greek. Ummmm . . . now what?
As I stared at it, that feeling of alarm began to grow until I realized something amazing -- I know the Greek alphabet!! Praise the Lord for sorority pledge training. (Never though I would say that.) That silly song started running through my head: alpha, beta, gamma, delta, epsilon, zeta, eta, theta, iota, kappa, lambda, mu, nu . . . If you are, or have ever been in a sorority, you know the one I'm talking about. Though it took me a while, I was able to sound out all the citites on the sign AND head in the right direction.
I ended up walking all the way to the beach I had set out for (about 8 miles) because the buses are worthless during off-season. But ya' know what, I found my way there without a wrong turn . . . by reading Greek signs!! I win! Laying on a beach never felt so good or deserved.
Then I hitch-hiked back (did you expect me to walk another 8 miles home?), but that's another story for another day. :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment