Thursday, October 29, 2009

GREECE

I have made it to Greece!! I can't tell you how happy that makes me. On the ferry ride from Albania I left cloudy skies with the promise of beautiful beaches, clear water, and sun ahead. Greece is somewhere I have wanted to go for a while and it's exciting to actually be here.
Not only is there the excitement of being in Greece, but also there's a sense of completion. It's like I'm finishing the race, making it to my final destination. Greece definately has unknowns of its own, but after so many "unstable" countries to which people respond "you went there!?" I am relieved to be in a traditional tourist destination.
Speaking of tourists, I have to share a little misunderstanding that has made the island of Corfu where I'm at an adventure of its own. I booked a hostel for my stay here - I actually was proud of myself for this because many places I have just figured it out when I got there. I booked on-line where it was advertised as a bed and breakfast as well as a hostel - on the beach, breakfast AND dinner included, free Internet, AND free yoga every day. Sign me up.
On the ferry I pulled out my Greece guide book that has been safely tucked in the bottom of my pack until now to start reading up on Corfu and its beaches. Well low and behold my hostel is in there, only the description was not quite the same. It was described as party central with nights of drunken debauchery that would "make Dionysus proud" and are "not for the faint of liver." Ummm . . . Is this the same place?With slight confusion and trepidation I caught the bus to the other side of the island.
Well I was not disappointed. As I gathered my luggage off the curb where the bus dropped us, I heard yelling coming from in the lobby. For a minute I thought I had walked into an episode of MTV spring break. There were bikini clad college kids running around everywhere. At check in they offered me a complimentary welcome shot of ouzo and informed me of the toga party tonight - are you kidding? The whole time the question flashing through my mind was "what is this place and how did I end up here?" A whole new kind of out of place. But I have to say I rocked that pink toga for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment