Thursday, October 8, 2009

To the Motherland

Yesterday was a very long travel day from Selcuk, Turkey to Zagreb, Croatia. It consisted of 2 train rides, 2 plane rides with various shuttles and public transportation in between.
I have decided that what makes travel days so exhausting is the roller coaster of ups and downs. Joy when you complete each leg of the journey and anxiety over making the next. There were delayed planes, changed flights and airports, border officials waking me up on the train to check documents.
The final section of the journey was arriving in Belgrade, Serbia, getting through customs, finding transportation into town and catching the night train to Zagreb, Croatia. I wasn't sure what time the train left. As I sat on the shuttle waiting for it to actually get on it's way, I was sure I'd miss the train. Turns out I made it to the train station 7 minutes before the train left. I changed money, bought my ticket, got on the train and found a seat as the train pulled out. Whew, a little close.
Now I am in the motherland -- Croatia. (my Dad's family is from Croatia -- we have a geneology website and everything) It's awesome! Everyone looks like me! In fact, a few people have come up to me speaking Croatian because they thought I was a local!! Can you believe it!?
My cousin Doug arrived yesterday, and we'll travel together for the next 2 weeks. Not sure exactly what the plans are but we're renting a care tomorrow so it'll be a great adventure. And don't worry, Doug is going to do the driving.

No comments:

Post a Comment