Monday, October 19, 2009

The Chestnut Festival

One of the great things about exploring new places is experiencing the quirky things that give each place its own distinct personality. Several days ago Doug and I went to the local 35th annual chestnut festival in northern Croatia. You don't get much more quirky than the little local festivals, especially when it is celebrating a nut.
Apparently the area is known for having large chestnuts (no, I'm not kidding), and they celebrate it during harvest time every year. And may I say, it was quite the party.
There were of course roasted chestnuts galore.


I learned that although I appreciate the smell of roasted chestnuts when I'm walking by them on the street, I do not like to eat them. They are difficult and messy to peel and have a very weird texture.


Still, the cute guys with their mannies kept offering them to me, trying to convince me I would like them.


Not only that, but there was a wide variety of desserts all in . . . you guessed it, chestnut flavor. The taste was interesting.


There was local music, which apparently includes some very cool accordion music. Let me tell you, these guys were rocking out.



To complete the festival atmosphere there were even balloon-making clowns. Don't worry, I resisted the urge to get a hat made, but it as tempting.




Happy Chestnut Festival!

No comments:

Post a Comment