Saturday, October 24, 2009

I Hate Snakes

Travel days never cease to be dramatic, and yesterday was no different. After I made the 7 am bus, I was on my way to Ulcinj to catch a bus crossing the border into Albania. Research in different books and websites had told me to "cross the border in the morning" because "public transport within Albania thins out as the afternoon goes on." When I got near the border, I found out that wasn't exactly accurate information.
In reality there is 1 bus across the border. That's it - 1. And it leaves at 6 am. Seriously? 6 am? At least give me a chance to catch it.
I ended up negotiating a ride with this guy driving across the border. He, his wife, and daughter were going shopping for a new dress for the daughter, and things are cheaper in Albania. So off the four of us went for an exciting ride of singing along to some awesome Montenegro pop hits.
Crossing the border went smoothly, and they dropped me in Shkodra where I hopped on a minibus headed to Tirana (the capital and my goal for the day). Apparently 90% of Albania's roads are under construction so it was quite a jaw-rattling ride. I even got air several times as we plowed through pot holes.
When we finally made it unscathed to Tirana, the driver dropped me off and pointed me toward the city center as he drove off. Loaded up with all my bags I set off across town just as the rain started. (It was kind of ironic after my morning experience. The Lord and I had a good laugh at His sense of humor.)
30 minutes later and soaking wet, I arrived at the hostel to find that it was actually closed. No, I'm not kidding.
Luckily I had a second hostel looked up so I gave myself a little pep talk (I think I mentioned before that one of the downfalls of traveling alone is that there's no one to take over if you have a breakdown so you don't get that luxury) and set off across town in the other direction.
Another twenty minutes put me and all my now wet (despite all my best efforts) bags at the other hostel. The reception guy laughed when he saw my drowned rat appearance but welcomed me in.
I dropped my bags and went to make a cup of hot chocolate and email parents of my safe arrival before I hit the shower and got changed. While on the computer I decided to see if anyone had a fun facebook post because I needed a pick-me-up. I found this: (sorry, I cannot get it to link so you'll have to copy/paste)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uqg3Pg2M9WU

Yeah. If you know me, you know I jumped. Big. And the hot chocolate that I was sipping on went all down my shirt and in my lap. I wanted to laugh and cry at the same time. So now soaking wet AND covered in hot chocolate I went upstairs to take a shower deciding that I had had enough of that day. I hate snakes, and I hate that I jump and scary things.

No comments:

Post a Comment