Friday, October 23, 2009

Our God who holds back the Rain

The first thing I notice when I woke up this morning was that it was not raining. That is very good news when a long day of travel starting with a 20 minute walk to the bus station awaits you. Clock check: 0510. My internal clocknow knows when it's a travel day and tends to wake me up early. Since I didn't need to be up till 0600, I decided to snooze in bed.
While I was laying in bed, I heard it - the pitter patter of rain drops on the tile roof.
Clock check: 0558. Times flies when you're snoozing. I decided I may as well get up and get ready, hoping the rain would let up. It didn't. Inf
fact it kept on steadily until it began to get heavier. I packed and brushed my teeth. Then there was thunder. Oh joy.
Clock check: 0625. Well hmmm . . . Maybe wait and take a later bus, see if it'll stop? Just as I was thinking this, I thought of the God that I serve. He is bigger than any storm and has faithfully been with me through this whole trip. I began to pray that He would stop the rain as I finished getting ready and packing up.
Window check: definately an all out downpour. Clock check: 0647. Not giving up yet, I continued to pray while I bagged everything up: camera in it's case in a grocery bag, bag over the backpack, bag over the front pack, purse over the shoulder and tied up in a bag. You get the idea. I looked like the homeless bag lady.
It was still raining as I got ready to head out. I looked longingly at the umbrella by the door but decided that stealing was not the answer. If I'm going to step out in faith, I actually have to take the step.
And so I did, right out into the rainy courtyard. But as I passed out into the street, the rain stopped. I kid you not. There was a spattering of rain every now and then and a wind that tried to blow me away. For the most part though, my bags and I arrived dry and intact. Bought my ticket and stood under the terminal covering to wait for the bus as the deluge started up again. I thought to myself, how great is our God to can call forth the rain and hold it back.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your wonderful journey with those of us left behind. I feel like I am with you as you travel. Your pictures are fabulous and your journal entries are a witness of your faith as you step into the unknown. I continue to pray for your safety and FUN! Love you! Kay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mrs. Nader! I'm glad you are reading along with and enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete