Saturday, October 3, 2009

Watch that First Step

This happened a few days ago but I've decided I'm not to proud or embarassed to share with you my little mishap. Let me set things up.

I started out with a backpack and a purse. Now that backpack is stuffed full; the camera no longer fits inside so is strapped around me separately. I have a painting in its own separate little bag, trying desperately to get it home unharmed. And finally there is another medium sized duffel full of stuff I have bought or no longer fits in the pack. Is it possible that the stuff I originally brought with me has multiplied? Regardless, I am now quite the pack mule when I move from city to city with all my belongings strapped on.

Second factor is the streets. They are always uneven, often cobblestone. Also you would think that the people here were giants based on the height of their curbs. They ranged anywhere from 1 1/2 - 2 1/2 ft depending on which country you're in. Stair steppers have nothing on this place.

You can probably already tell where this is going but I'll say it for you - I fell. I was walking along the cobble stone walkway to catch a bus when my Chaco slipped off the cobble stone and my foot slipped off the Chaco. I could possibly have recovered under normal circumstances but with all the bags on, it was hopeless. So down I went. Thankfully the camera and painting were spared by my protective evasive manuevers. The duffel went flying, and the purse was crushed. For a minute I just laid there, still strapped to my pack and feeling like a turtle on its back.

In the end I had to unstrap and disentangle myself from everything to get up before reloading myself with one item at a time. It was not my finest moment, but my only injury is a scraped, sore knee so I'm doing pretty well. But remember even when you have a lot on your mind or are in a new place with lots to look at, watch your step.

No comments:

Post a Comment