Sunday, October 4, 2009

Frumpy Backpacker Girl

My last night in Istanbul I went up to Taksim Square in the modern part of town and walked down the main shopping street there. I should have realized that it was a Saturday night in a major European city, but I was not prepared. I had a little bit of culture shock.
For the past month I have lived out of my backpack. All my clothes are wrinkled and smell . . . well, neutral (handwashing does not leave them with that dryer fresh smell). I perpetually look frumpy -- hair halfway dry, no make-up, bags strapped on everywhere, wrinkled, holding a map. I haven't minded though because I've been traveling in the Middle East where all the women wear burqas and hijabs.
In Taksim square, however, everyone was dressed to the nines. Women with their high heels on, hair and make-up done, wearing the latest styles were walking along the row of designer shops. Suddenly I became frumpy backpacker girl and felt very out of place. I had been sight-seeing all day and still had my big purse/bag filled to capacity with water, camera, map, and other travel essentials. Only the lack of space in my backpack and my tired shoulders kept me from running into the nearest store to purchase a new outfit to put on.
Just when I felt my confidence slipping, I came across the most wonderful discovery. There was a Gelateria!! Yes, for the first time in a month I got to have Italian gelato!
You may think this is a small thing, but those who know me well know that gelato and chocolate are a part of my daily diet. Well, neither of these exist in the Middle East. No chocolate because it melts -- haven't they heard of a refridgerator? They do have "ice cream," but it is more of a sorbet in texture with nothing creamy about it. And the flavors it comes in are white, red and yellow. They call them different names, but really there is no distinctive flavor about it. It's cold and refreshing and tastes like . . . white. Yum.
So now you can imagine my excitement at real, delicious, creamy gelato. All problems and insecurities dissolved.
Someday I will do Istanbul with style and walk this road with my high heels on and head held high. For tonight I will eat my gelato, wander back to my hippie, backpacker side of town and be content. It's all about the little pleasures.

1 comment:

  1. you KNOW i love this! wish you were still here being my gelato partner!

    ReplyDelete