Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Death by Billy Goat Headbutt

Doug and I parted ways this morning as I headed down south into Montenegro. I am in Kotor Bay where the water cuts inland quite a bit. When I arrived, it was actually sunny (thank you for prayers) so I dropped my bags and headed out to explore.
I hiked up to the fortress above the old city and to the ridge line behind it. Everything was lush and green from the rain, with a lovely old stone and grass path most of the way like what I imagine in Ireland.
The trip up was serene as I ascended out of the city, away from the noise. I even saw some mountain goats up on a hillside. I thought it was so quaint . . . at the time.
From the top I could see across the bay (which is more like a fjord cut back into the mountains) over the mountains on the other side and out to the sea. Stunning!
I had a wonderful quiet time and watched the sun sink into the horizon before it was time to head down. That was when the excitement started.
As I switch backed my way down, one bend in the path put me almost face to face with the mountain goats, no longer way off on the hillside. And now there were like 30 of them spread along the trail, above and below. We eyed each other for a while and then the ones near me began to stand up. At this point my brain was filing through all the animal responses I know -- look big, look small, fight back, back away, kick them in the nose, use a stern voice -- and finally registered that I do not know the appropriate response to goats.
Unsure as to whether or not they were tame (no bells or markings), I decided to try to slowly make my way around them. Only problem with that is it meant getting off the trail, and well . . . I'm not a mountain goat so that posed it's own problem.
Then I noticed the female and small goats gathering behind the billy goats, with their rather large horns. I thought to myself, "Of all the things I've done in my life, this is not how I would plan to go out." I could just picture the headlines "Death by Billy Goat Head Butt." Fabulous.
I decided to try to make shepherd noises, whatever those are. Definately did not work. I later realized it was probably because I was making the "tut tut" noise. I have obviously been around too many camels on this trip.
So as I normally do when all else fails, I started to sing -- if not for them, then at least to calm my . . . well, I wouldn't say fear. Maybe just slight trepidation. And anyway, music calms the savage beast, right? As these were OBVIOUSLY savage goats.
I'm not sure if they were soothed or just trying to get away because it sounded that bad, but eventually they started to move and the stand-off was over. No head butts today.
The next few days will be travel down through Montenegro and Albania as I head to Greece. This is a less touristy part of the world and English is not as common. Pray that border crossings will go smoothly, buses will be on time and that I will be able to communicate with drivers as I'm not sure the exact route. Should be an adventure.

2 comments:

  1. This is HILARIOUS. Such a situation that would happen to me. I'm glad you're okay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am laughing out loud!!! By myself!!! I can picture the whole thing! I am so glad they were not"savage goats".

    ReplyDelete