Saturday, September 19, 2009

Covered in Mud

Today I stopped at the Dead Sea. It is the second saltiest body of water in the world. Because of the high concentration of salt, the water seemingly becomes extra viscous, and you become extra bouyant. Once you get about chest deep in the water, you can hardly help but start floating. It was like I was on a raft, floating on my back without any effort at all.
It is good to know though that the extra saltiness of the water also makes it extra painful to get in your eyes or in any wound you didn't realize you had. The other day climbing around at Petra (will write more about that later), I slightly scraped my knee. I didn't realize it had actually cut through the skin until today when it began to burn like crazy as the salt cleaned it out.
The Dead Sea is also apparently very rich in minerals and so for a small price you can slather yourself in the mud mined from deep in the sea. Supposedly it is a rejuvinator and can make you look years younger.
I think they should give me a comission because when I got there, no one on the beach was putting on mud. I decided to go for it and covered myself in this tar-like stuff from head to foot (will try to post pics) and pranced around on the beach waiting for it to dry. By the time I left, there was a line at the mud bins -- I started the trend! :o) So now dirty, but refreshed and looking 10 years younger, I am ready for the next adventure.

2 comments:

  1. I am enjoying your trip! Thank you for sharing all your adventures with me. You write so well - and you are doing so many exciting things. Keep the posts coming!
    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Lizzy! Can you ship some mud home to me??? Loved our visit today! Love you Mama

    ReplyDelete