Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Sea Urchins and Saudi Arabia

After crossing the desert, we came to the coast of the Red Sea and stayed in a little beach camp. Accommodations were a little bamboo hut on the beach - one room with a mat on the floor and mosquito net over it. Surprisingly it was quite fabulous -- a nice breeze blowing and the sound of the ocean for background music. I even went snorkeling out from the beach. I was slightly terrified at times and the Jaws theme song constantly ran through my mind (thank you Kristen). But besides that, it was great.
I followed beautiful corral out until the ledge dropped off. Then there was nothing but big blue ocean. That's when I panicked a little because big open water is where the big scary sharks are. Thankfully those little minnow fish were swimming all around me. I decided they would swim off if there were any signs of danger just like in Finding Nemo. So as long as they stuck around I was ok.
However when I swam back in to shore, tide had dropped some so that I was much closer to the corral before. This wouldn't really be a problem except that the corral houses all these scary black sea urchin things that can sting you quite painfully. I sucked in my stomach and pictured myself like Tom Cruise in Mission Impossible dangling from a wire as I carefully made my way over them. Thankfully I made it back to shore without a mark -- 2 other girls were not so lucky.
This morning I woke up early and watched the sunrise over Saudi Arabia across the Gulf of Aqaba. I waved good morning. I'm sure they waved back.
Headed to Jordan next, through the desert again and on to Petra.

No comments:

Post a Comment