Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Driving across the Desert

So from Cairo, I headed by bus under the Suez Canal and into the Sinai Peninsula. It's amazing that 90% on Egypt's population lives within 10 miles of the Nile. Outside that, there's just desert. Just imagine nothing. Then add some rocks and sand and a lot of heat. That's about it. Sort of makes driving across west Texas look like a rain forest.
Seven hours later we got to Mt Sinai and climbed it that afternoon. Thankfully the shadow of the mtn made the heat bearable. Got to the top just in time for sunset which was pretty awesome to see.
However, at the top were also guys trying to sell you silly souveneirs -- they're everywhere in Egypt. It's kind of ridiculous.
When I looked out at the most barren land I've ever seen and imagined Moses leading some 600,000 people across it, I have to admit I probably would have complained and asked for water as well. Yet there are people who make a life out in the middle of this desert. I'm just thankful I'm not one of them. Can definitely cross that off my list of places to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment